Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Five Favorites....for now

1. All I can say right now- these beautiful sisters show...
2. In case you have missed my recommendations...I love listening to pray-as-you-go and Fr Z's Lenten Podcasts for some Lenten listening. And no- I don't find these two podcasts to be in a battle with each other.   We are Catholic, no? 

3. This is my favorite scene of any movie, anywhere.
The video is missing the line "I know your face...," but pop in your dvd to relive the magic. I'm sorry, but pity was 'worth it' for Gollum, but for Grima? A little jail time would have been good for all.  Rohan forever! I am definitely a second movie person- Empire Strikes back is my favorite from the other trilogy. 

4. We have been plugging away through Lent, food-wise. I have loved the 'green soup' from the book LoveSoup- so many great meatless ideas! Read this article for inspiration...basically saute onions with garlic, then add any greens (I've used spinach, kale, broccoli, anything from the veggie box), boil with potatoes for silkiness and then puree. Add salt, herbs, and a bit of lemon juice. I've added croutons made from old bread to contrast with the soft texture of the soup. It's very good- a splendid way to use up vegetables before they belong in the compost pile.

5. and for some not-so-serious girlie fun, my favorite perfume is Manifesto. That, or some rose oil...I can't abide any notes of musk in my perfume at all...

13 comments:

  1. Speaking of meatless...have you ever tried green beans like this? http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/greek-style-green-beans

    Sounds pretty luscious and the woman who originate the recipe's name is Crescent Dragonwagon.

    Must try Manifesto. On my birthday list now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the Dominican Sisters locally! They are every bit as wonderful as they seem. They radiate joy and peace and love. Just like movie sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous! We have some wonderful sisters- Servants of Mary- they do home health care at night for terminally ill & families so we rarely see them- they have to sleep in the day

      Delete
  3. My husband showed me that video of the Dominican Sisters earlier today. It made me cry. They are so beautiful. So joy-filled.
    Wow.
    Also, you have reminded me that I am desperately in need of a new fragrance....hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the perfume is quite light and 'herby'- if that makes sense...

      Delete
  4. I could feel the excitement those sisters had. That video made me want to cry and dance around at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm so happy those sisters have each other (it is the exact opposite of some sisters I know who live alone even though there are still 4 in the area....and no habits....)

      Delete
  5. Hi PW! I'm popping in to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. Kind of funny that your top post right now is about your favorite things. LOL!! Anyway, I've nominated you for a little blog award, the Liebster Award. You can get all the details about the award over on my blog post here. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought my dad "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and "The Hobbit" to replace the older ones he tossed. We saw the movies as they came out in the theaters and watch them whenever they're on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that video of the sisters. So beautiful.

    I've been making my own green soups recently. My favorites have been broccoli and broccoli with arugula. I usually add celery and carrots with my onion and garlic. And sometimes leeks too if I have them. I agree potatoes are a must for thickness and smoothness. Of course I add cream and cheese, not being dairy free as well as meatless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually- I like not adding cream to my soups- fast day or not- because they always tend to boil a bit and then they separate! So- sometimes we will add cheese or sour cream at the table (with my clam chowder fir non fasting times- I use bacon and evaporated milk in the broth...that seems to behave)

      Delete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)