Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pretty Happy Funny Real food-'31 days'-day 11

Pretty: roasted fennel with salami and prosciutto salad (well- it is sort of strange looking. I was using fennel from our CSA. I cooked with it for the first time and of course didn't bother with a recipe)
Happy: I was happy to do some 'save a step' cooking a la Leila from Like Mother, Like Daughter. I baked some butternut squash to make a puree and I sauteed some summer squash to use in recipes later. It will live in the freezer until I need a quick meatless meal. One of my sisters does squash, onions and potatoes with egg. Season with garlic. It is very yummy.
Funny & Real: I made basil pesto for the first time yesterday. One jar for the fridge, and one jar for the freezer. I didn't have pine nuts, so I used half raw almonds and half roasted pecans. I didn't have much fresh Parmesan, so I used half green-can-stuff. I didn't have enough basil, so I used one-fourth kale. And guess what? It is very, very delicious! I have no proof, however. The photos turned out beyond awful (even worse than the other photos on my blog- courtesy of a pay-as-you-go phone)
"There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the work. This is where the respect and the love and the devotion come in - that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible.

There is more hunger in the world for love and appreciation in this world than for bread.

There must be a reason why some people can afford to live well. They must have worked for it. I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things that we could use." ---Blessed Mother Theresa

3 comments:

  1. argh- these photos are painful to look at...I am biting the bullet and getting a real camera

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the first picture was beautiful. I love butternut squash soup. It is one of my favorite fasting meals. My kids and husband tolerate it, but like it better when I add chunks of chicken to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more fennel than I know what to do with- it is a good thing that I like it

      Delete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)