Friday, July 22, 2011

7 Quicktakes- Birthday/Food Edition...

1. Breakfast in bed provided by big girls- tea & whole wheat toast. But the real treat? They got the little kids ready in the morning, dressing and feeding them. Aren't those big girls lovely?

2. My lunch- the ultimate treat- fresh mozzarella with tomatoes and pesto. And because daughter #1 was at her day of ballet intensives, I didn't have to share! Dear reader, if you haven't tried this classic Italian salad with a bit of pesto, you must indulge! For me, fresh basil overpowers the taste of the mozzarella, and dried basil is an abomination. Pesto is a perfect middle way; just don't put too much on.

3. First world disappointment- my students gave me a box of See's chocolates. They are of the 'cream' variety. Unfortunately, you "know what you are going to get" with a box of fruit cream chocolates. In any case, I don't need the sugar. Not-so-good chocolate is a point of snobbery for me. I don't eat milk chocolate (except for s'mores) and I can't eat fruit creams. UNless I am in front of the students who bought it for me. Then, I eat it.

4. My Chinese students gave me some very authentic-looking, loose tea that I am looking forward to using. And all of the stereotypes about Asian students being hard-working are playing out this summer; they are a joy to have in class.

5. and what can I say...my kids love the flan that Elizabeth from Mexico makes....who needs a birthday cake when you have flan? The only problem is that her flan brings to mind a similar dessert that grandmother makes in the old country with farm fresh (from that same day- very free-range and organic) eggs and milk. Yum---We miss you, grandmother!

6. Not a birthday food quick take- but dough made from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day is waiting in the fridge. I guess I  am silly- but this concept is mind-blowing to me, and I hope to keep baking and expanding my repertoire.

7. After anti-terrorist training & hospital work, priest-husband was ready for dinner at about 9:15. This town shuts down at 9 on weekdays, and I wasn't in the mood for Subway- the only place open. We ended up buying blueberry/peach panna cotta (freezer section) from Von's (Safeway) and taking it home. I heartily recommend it! This would have been a perfect dessert for my year in Austria where I decided not to eat chocolate- yes- it was a crazy promise to myself, but I was successful!

find many more quick takes at conversiondiary.com

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for being another down to earth mom and not demanding elaborate presents/acts from your children :) My parents were, and still are, like that regarding gifts. Your children will thank you when they get older over never having to stress out about gift giving or spending too much money. So many of my friends have horribly picky parents and get anxious when gift giving approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day. That is what finally got me over my fear of cooking bread. Works beautifully. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm really hungry. Happy birthday S. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing about this Artisan bread thing. I'm getting closer and closer to trying it. Thanks for the lovely story about your birthday. Mine (42nd) is on Monday. I love simple celebrations with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! All that talk of food and I'm feeling hungry. I must try your mozzarella, tomatoes and pesto combination. Sounds delicious. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advance Happy Birthday for this year! :)

    zonia

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)